Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate Games My Account Help

Jump to:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: Vegetarianism
Post Posted: Oct 27th, '14, 02:10    

Chrizine
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 42274
Mood: Elusive Crumpet
I am certainly not a vegetarian, I like meat a lot.
I am eating a lot less of it since I moved out from home and into a country where meat is very expensive and I thought it would be really hard for me. Actually it turned out to be not as problematic as I thought though. I now only eat meat on weekends and maybe some small amount of bacon during the week from time to time. I sometimes miss it, and I always thouroughly enjoy the awesome steak my mom makes for me when I come home for a visit, but overall it works much better than I expected it! This makes me think it would not be impossible for me to go vegetarian, but frankly, I don't really feel an urge to. I'd like to be able to afford buying only meat from animals where I can be sure they were raised in good conditions though. That is sadly not always possible on a tight student budget. But it is definitely my goal for when I earn money!

(0) (0)
My personal Quest thread:

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):
Most urgent wishes currently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Check out jacobgrey's awesome interactive Harry Potter Fanfiction thread!

I'm on Flight Rising and Tattered Weave as well- feel free to friend me!

Post Posted: Oct 29th, '14, 06:59    

Agito
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 64428
Mood: MINHO LOVE . <3 .
Cant really say im vegetarian but university is basically making me one ><

I like food too much to take out meat; you lose a large portion of what you could eat

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 29th, '14, 20:20    

Heine_Ram
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 20215
Mood: When life throws you busy...
I am not, because being vegetarian only means taking supplemental proteins. Most vegetarians don't realize they lack essential proteins that you can only get through meat and without it, it could put you in the hospital. If you are going to be vegetarian don't be so strict. Eat something with protein every now and then and save yourself the favor. Some hard core vegetarians also know about this and take the supplements. I just don't see the point.

(0) (1)

Post Posted: Oct 30th, '14, 10:02    

HeartofSteal
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 3104
Mood: ...
I would never be a vegetarian. I like eating meat way too much.

However, the problem in many places today is that people eat way too much meat. That's why there are farms that raise animals extremely inhumane ways. But that's the price people have to pay for producing so much meat everyday.

(0) (0)

I Like Dressing Like a Peasant ===>Nubby4lyfe

Post Posted: Oct 31st, '14, 22:36    

Stroctoperry
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 6161
Mood: Lazy
Not a vegetarian, but I try to not eat meat every day. For one thing, it's expensive to me personally. For another, most meat is not grown in sustainable ways. It's very hard to justify growing corn to feed a cow when the same amount of land could support more people directly. Then there are the outgassings of cows (surprisingly large amounts of greenhouse gas). But they are tasty, tasty animals.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Nov 5th, '14, 17:03    

Sanssouci
Hugs: 32824
Heine_Ram wrote:
I am not, because being vegetarian only means taking supplemental proteins. Most vegetarians don't realize they lack essential proteins that you can only get through meat and without it, it could put you in the hospital. If you are going to be vegetarian don't be so strict. Eat something with protein every now and then and save yourself the favor. Some hard core vegetarians also know about this and take the supplements. I just don't see the point.

That's not even remotely accurate.

Yes, protein is important. But there are numerous non-meat and non-supplemental ways to get all the protein that you need.

If you want to know more, this site explains protein and lists some vegetarian sources of complete protein (complete protein contains all nine essential amino acids): http://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins

Since vegetarians can very easily get all the protein (and everything else) that they need without all the saturated fat, pus, bacteria, animal cruelty, increased risk of cancer, increased risk of heart disease, and environmental destruction that you get with a diet that includes meat, more and more doctors and nutritionists are recommending vegetarian diets.

I have been vegetarian for about seven and a half years now and highly recommend it. I don't have to go out of my way to get protein or keep track of how much protein I get because protein is in so many things that it would be pretty much impossible for me to not be getting enough. And no, I haven't ended up in the hospital. In fact, before I became a vegetarian, I was always tired and was iron anemic. Now, I feel fine and every single time I go to the doctor for a checkup, the nurse on duty will comment on how perfect my blood work is and how great my diet must be.

(2) (0)

Post Posted: Dec 7th, '14, 15:29    

mishamonkey
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 7917
Sanssouci wrote:
Heine_Ram wrote:

That's not even remotely accurate.

Yes, protein is important. But there are numerous non-meat and non-supplemental ways to get all the protein that you need.

If you want to know more, this site explains protein and lists some vegetarian sources of complete protein (complete protein contains all nine essential amino acids): http://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins

Since vegetarians can very easily get all the protein (and everything else) that they need without all the saturated fat, pus, bacteria, animal cruelty, increased risk of cancer, increased risk of heart disease, and environmental destruction that you get with a diet that includes meat, more and more doctors and nutritionists are recommending vegetarian diets.

I have been vegetarian for about seven and a half years now and highly recommend it. I don't have to go out of my way to get protein or keep track of how much protein I get because protein is in so many things that it would be pretty much impossible for me to not be getting enough. And no, I haven't ended up in the hospital. In fact, before I became a vegetarian, I was always tired and was iron anemic. Now, I feel fine and every single time I go to the doctor for a checkup, the nurse on duty will comment on how perfect my blood work is and how great my diet must be.

Yes, Sanssouci, thank you!

I know some people who have stopped being vegetarian for health reasons. The person in question was in fact becoming Iron-deficient on his veggie diet. So he reintroduced a bit of meat into his food and it worked for him.

Meat has all of the necessary vitamins and minerals- plus a lot of crap you don't want in your body. As a vegetarian, you do need to watch certain things, like vitamin B12, because they're a bit harder to find in a veggie diet. Peanuts are good for that specific one. I myself take multivitamins, just in case. As to protein- eggs, bean-like things (legumes), and tofu are more than adequate to give you what you need there.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Dec 7th, '14, 18:19    

Sanssouci
mishamonkey wrote:
I know some people who have stopped being vegetarian for health reasons. The person in question was in fact becoming Iron-deficient on his veggie diet. So he reintroduced a bit of meat into his food and it worked for him.

Meat has all of the necessary vitamins and minerals- plus a lot of crap you don't want in your body. As a vegetarian, you do need to watch certain things, like vitamin B12, because they're a bit harder to find in a veggie diet. Peanuts are good for that specific one. I myself take multivitamins, just in case. As to protein- eggs, bean-like things (legumes), and tofu are more than adequate to give you what you need there.

Vegetarian diets have everything that we need and are, overall, healthier than diets that contains meat. And it's not difficult to have a healthy vegetarian diet. But there are certainly some "wrong" ways to have a vegetarian diet too. For example, a person can't eat nothing but chips, soda, and macaroni and cheese and expect to be healthy just because they gave up meat! And sadly a lot of new vegetarians do have that kind of diet simply because they're not really aware of all their choices yet or don't know how to prepare many foods yet. It's really important to have a wide variety of foods.

If your friend was becoming iron anemic after going vegetarian, that means his diet probably didn't have a whole lot of variety. But going back to eating meat isn't the healthiest solution to the problem for most people. For most people the healthiest solution would be to do a bit of research and tweak their vegetarian diet to include more iron and foster better iron absorption. Spinach, lentils, beans, peas, watermelon, cashews, and veggie burgers are just a few of the ways that vegetarians and vegans can get iron. Iron is also more easily absorbed when we eat small meals often and when our diet is high in vitamin C (which can be found in oranges, grapefruits, peppers, strawberries, cantaloupes, and more).

Most vegetarians are lacto-ovo (eggs, dairy, but no meat). A lacto-ovo diet contains B12, so most lacto-ovo vegetarians don't have to give much/any thought to B12. But vegans (no eggs, no dairy, no meat) or almost vegans may have to go out of their way to get B12, usually through supplements, fortified cereals and plant milks, or yeast flakes.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Dec 8th, '14, 12:24    

lulu
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 864
Mood: Haaaaappy *_*
I'm not a vegetarian, but I like the taste of meat just too much. But I still do not eat meat every day - I also like to eat vegetables!
From time to time my friend and I make a "Vegetarian Week" or "weeks".
But complete without meat .. I would not make it..

(0) (0)
My lovely Knuffels:
Image Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19