Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate Games My Account Help

Jump to:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegetarianism
Post Posted: May 17th, '14, 16:58    

FanDanBanana
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 1221
Mood: Mixed in a good way
starferry wrote:
Well actually it depends on where you live. I'm indian and since a lot more plants can grow in a tropical country (since snow doesn't keep stepping in to kill them) we as vegetarians don't need to take pills. At all. People of certain Indian religions (like Jains) or people of certain castes (like me, who's a Brahmin) are basically forbidden to eat meat by society. And believe me, I don't take a single pill for nutrition supplements :qc:
We get the missing protein from pulses- we have loads of pulses! And milk products. Generally an Indian meal looks like this:
A lentil soup. A different lentils' soup for each day! Gives loads of protein.
A curry. A different veggie's curry each day! Gives everything else.
Staple food (what we eat the soup and curry with. Yours is probably bread.): Wheat if you're towards the north, rice if you're towards the south.
Top it off with curd or buttermilk. It keeps your body cool (remember this is a tropical country!) and it's bone-food :qw:

I agree with your point that it depends of where you live. I'm from Greenland and the climate there isn't suitable for growing vegetables. The diet used to consist more of meat, fish and berries. At the moment it's very expensive to live as a vegetarian there since the vegetables are so very expensive.

Personally I'm not interested in becomming a vegetarian. I grew up eating a lot of meat and I love eating meat. I don't mind people being vegetarians, I just don't want them trying to convince me to become one. Just as I won't try to convince vegetarians to become meat eaters. I live in Denmark now, so vegetables are really cheap, which is nice, but I will not let go of meat x3

(0) (0)
ImageImageImage

Quest log of DanBa <3
DanBa's Personal Quests! 〜( ̄△ ̄〜)

:chick:
Questing these material: 15 - 3 x Family Jewels Paperbag, 15 - 14 x Treasure Map

Post Posted: Jul 14th, '14, 22:16    

Sanssouci
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 32868
I've been vegetarian for about six and a half years, mostly vegan for the past year or two. I do it for moral reasons, health reasons, and environmental reasons.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 19th, '14, 08:53    

Telos
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 955
Not a vegetarian because, well... I like too many meat products. Which is also why I'm not a vegan.

I definitely could use some cleaning-up in my diet, though, but I'm still just as unlikely to become vegan/vegetarian; I'm much more likely to just eat healthier overall, with smaller portions, than cut out meats, milk, eggs, and so on.

(0) (0)
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Post Posted: Oct 21st, '14, 02:39    

AsheSkyler
Hugs: 8943
Mood: Defiant and rebellious!
I get hungry every time I see this thread pop up. XD

(0) (0)
[ Just Another Day (webcomic) ][ Commission me! ][ Etsy ][ dA ]​
[ ~* Space Countdown Game *~ ][ Little Wizard Knuffle ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.

Post Posted: Oct 23rd, '14, 03:15    

Shinasuki
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 746
Mood: down
A lot of posts here about not being able to give up meat. I think that's pretty weak considering how much is put into making good meat replicas from plants. They sort of freak me out since they're hard to tell from real meat sometimes but maybe Sweden just have a better supply than where ever you are.

I'm a vegan, if it's been in an animal I don't use it.
I had a nightmare about eating a fish yesterday and I haven't even been a vegan for five years yet.

The best way to learn about a vegan diet is to learn things online and experiment at home. I suggest not deciding to be vegan 100% until you've learned some recipes you like. One meal at the time then start with other things if you care. It's easier to care when you don't eat them.

When I learned more details about what actually gets in the milk from the cow I almost threw up, odd since I lick my own wounds.
Soy milk gets a bad rep lately so I'll skip that (though it's my personal favourite) and recommend almond milk if you like almonds and rice milk if you have a sweet tooth. You could also looks up how to make your own plant milk. I heard a rumour it was easy but I don't trust the source.
Oh, there is a post about nutritional supplement. Sweden is pretty dark (at least half the year) so I do need extra vitamin D. If I drank milk I would get that through the extra D vitamin they stuff into cows and their milk but I buy plant milk with extra vitamin D instead.

I find some poetic justice in that meat consumption has been linked to some types of cancer though (and heart attack but everyone knows that). I like when things even out like that.

Thumbs up to the vegans and everyone else working in that direction. I love you people.

(0) (0)
My cat isn't here anymore.

Post Posted: Oct 24th, '14, 09:00    

savage_rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 8470
I was completely vegetarian for about 10 years. At that time I started eating fish again for health reasons and because I felt like fish had good lives. And recently (about 20 years after initially eating no meat), I started eating chicken again. For me personally, it's easier for me to get more protein in my diet this way, and I feel like I can respect the sacrifice of life appropriately. When I have a choice I try to go free range.

However, this is my choice--I have a lot of friends who are completely vegetarian or vegan, and it works for them. Whatever works for their body and life is fine with me.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 24th, '14, 11:47    

Calielle
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 5542
I'm not vegetarian but I don't eat much meat.
I like to eat a little bit of everything.

(0) (0)
Image ImageImage Image

Post Posted: Oct 24th, '14, 14:18    

YourMajesty
Hugs: 16551
Mood: Dressed by a 9 year old.
Meat is yummy.
:ql: :qstar: :ql:

(0) (0)
Blank signature is blank.

Post Posted: Oct 25th, '14, 22:53    

Prince Jalarian
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 4606
I;m not a vegetarian, but I wouldn't mind eating less meat dishes.

(0) (0)
ImageImage

Post Posted: Oct 26th, '14, 06:35    

Bunnei
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 42185
Mood: Needs a Whisky
no, because i like chicken! and turkey.
not so much beef though

(0) (0)
Buying some things here:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=41727

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next