Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate Games My Account Help

Jump to:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7
I can't die...
until I've lived a full life. 28%  28%  [ 108 ]
until I'm famous/wealthy/a world leader. 8%  8%  [ 32 ]
ever!! Someone find me a vampire. 20%  20%  [ 77 ]
without my foodz 43%  43%  [ 164 ]
Total votes : 381
 Post subject: Re: Death and Dying
Post Posted: May 1st, '14, 21:05    

ittybittyhippy
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 1883
Mood: Meh.
Disclaimer: I'm really, REALLY freaking tired. I apologize if the following is rambling, nonsensical, odd-sounding, or all of the above.

I'm not afraid of death. I'm afraid of pain. However I go, I would want it to be quick and/or as painless as possible.

I believe firmly in the immortality of the soul (though sometimes I think that our souls eventually return to the... aether? The term escapes me at the moment. I'll edit this if I can get myself to remember.). As far as I'm concerned, death is only the death of the corporeal body.

My uncle passed two days ago. My great-aunt Phyllis and great-aunt Rose passed last year and the year before last, respectively. My cousin took his own life when I was eleven. My grandfather (dad's dad) passed when I was around eight years old. My grandmother (mom's mom) passed when I was three.

I don't think there really is much meaning to life without death. As so many have already said in this thread, immortality sounds nice enough, but eventually life would lose meaning, and we'd be bored out of our minds.

Beauty is certainly beautiful with or without death, but the finite nature of things make you appreciate it even more. My favorite example is the crocus flower. My family have some crocuses planted in my mom's garden in the front yard. They don't last very long, but the sight of their blossoms at the very beginning of spring always touches my heart in a very profound way.

Finally, a lovely little comic - or one that I think is lovely - because it's kinda-sorta-vaguely relevant: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/315/b/2/life_asked_death_by_kambari_bum-d5kpww8.jpg

(0) (0)
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Post Posted: May 1st, '14, 21:30    

AsheSkyler
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 8944
Mood: Defiant and rebellious!
What are your thoughts on the end of life? It's an easy topic to avoid when one is young, but we'll all get there eventually.
In my end days, I fully intend to be a little old lady always with a bag of fresh cookies, flame decals and a squeaky horn on my walker or wheelchair, a flag for my wheelchair if I have one, I'll always be crocheting something, and have plenty of tales about "back in my day...". I intend to have fun when I get old. Maybe I'll finally have a garden.
And when I croak, I hope to be cremated. When I get the time, I'm going to decorate my urn and it'll have all sorts of little sayings on it. My family knows me for my sense of humour and I'd like to leave some final quips for my surviving relatives. One of my favorites is "please do not use the vacuum if you knock me over, I've always hated those things".

What do you make of vampire (immortality) popular culture exploding in the last decade?
Somebody get me some garlic and a werewolf.

With every generation, there are people who believe that immortality is scientifically possible, and just around the corner. How would you prefer to die? And when?
I would prefer to die as painlessly as possible. Death's fine. Death's a new adventure. There may be a new world, you may be reborn, there may even be nothing. Dying? Gonna hurt like hell. Not my cup of tea.
If I could, I would love to have about a 500-1000 year lifespan. There are so many things to see and do! And it'd probably take me that long to build up the finances so I could travel and explore like I want to anyway. XD

Is beauty beautiful without death?
No. No beauty is beautiful without an opposite to show you what things can be like otherwise. Cat people probably wouldn't like cats as much if they didn't have dogs to remind them. Heehee.

Is life meaningful without death? Let's ponder the big mystery. :3
I think so, depending on who you are, but death amps it up.

(0) (0)
[ Just Another Day (webcomic) ][ Commission me! ][ Etsy ][ dA ]​
[ ~* Space Countdown Game *~ ][ Little Wizard Knuffle ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.

Post Posted: May 4th, '14, 22:13    

RockinSia
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 12256

Personally, I'm scared of dying and have a grandmother who is going to die soon because she has cancer that can't be treated enough to save her life. It makes me very saddened when I think of her, but I also know she lived a full life with people who love her, and that's basically all one can ask for.

I also know of people who celebrate one's life when they die, they look at the good and consider the person's passing as them going to a better place. I like this point of view, but it's hard for me to feel that way when I'm in the process of losing someone I love.

I'm very interested in the notion of becoming a vampire (not the kind that kills though), but I know that it's just a fantasy and won't come true. I am however thankful that my life will probably be longer than the life expectancy in earlier centuries.

I would prefer to die in the least painful way as possible, but hopefully when I'm old and gray and have experienced life to the fullest.

I believe beauty is beautiful without death, but we appreciate it more because it can't last forever. Life can be meaningful without death, but we also wouldn't appreciate life as much if it didn't end like it does.

ImageImageImage

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 29th, '14, 23:53    

wolfcat87
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 7252
Mood: Interested
We must die so that others may live.

(0) (0)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post Posted: Aug 13th, '14, 22:28    

savage_rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 8471
I am not looking forward to death, but I hope it comes when I'm old and tired and ready, painlessly. I personally believe in reincarnation, so without death I wouldn't be here now, and neither would those that I love.

The "immortality" obsessions are as old as time, and they've always come and gone in various forms. As nice as the thought is of things always staying the same, it would get really old eventually, even if you wouldn't. :)

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 14th, '14, 08:32    

Betty_Smith
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 146
Mood: Happy
Well I have to live a fuller life..the idea is to live before dying :) I think mere breathing is not living because we need to understand the essence of life within the given time frame. Age is just a number for that.

(0) (0)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7