Should I Worry About This War?
Yea, it can get pretty scary. 25%  25%  [ 53 ]
Nah, nothing hardly comes out of it. 22%  22%  [ 47 ]
Blah. I wouldn't know, lol! 53%  53%  [ 112 ]
Total votes : 212
 Post subject: Teachers Vs. Parents
Post Posted: Jul 14th, '13, 18:31    

rosedragonfire
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 11835
As someone who is working hard on becoming a teacher, I always hear horror stories about parents who blame teachers for their child's grades, assuming they're not perfect.

Now, I have had some pretty bad teachers, but I have had some amazing ones as well. From what I can tell, based on my own experiences, several teachers are being blamed for children that are simply not wanting to learn, and even the amazing ones are often referred to as "Glorified Babysitters."
I traveled from school to school as a child, and I'm still proud of my education. Yes, I know there are plenty of others who are smarted, but I never once blamed my teachers for my disability for learning math, haha. I just think some parents need to make the effort to find out which teachers are bad for the system, and not blame them all. A good way to figure that out is to let the students (as a whole, not one child at a time) be heard. They know more than the parents as to who is really trying to help them understand. :/

I'm terrified to enter the war between parents and teachers... :(

As far as Glorified Babysitters go, I wanted to mention something about the area I currently live in. This isn't an education example. It's more of a response against the negative term mentioned.
I live right next to Moore, Oklahoma. Many know that a couple of Moore schools were hit by our rather large tornado, and several children died. The teachers in that school put themselves in harms way to protect as many as they could. Most were found with their bodies hovering over the kids, building parts embedded in them, and still holding walls up to keep the children safe. My state wants to break down their paychecks even further, and I find it just sad...I won't be in this state, so it won't affect me, but I still don't think it's fair. My teachers here in Oklahoma have been, for the vast majority, hard workers. Many of them have been more than willing to protect us, and do everything possible to help us pass. The school I graduated from even helped a boy I knew with his food expenses, and gave him extra work so that he could make graduation. :(

(0) (0)

~My Deviant Art~

Post subject: Re: Teachers Vs. Parents
Post Posted: Jul 15th, '13, 20:19    

Dixie
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 6530
Hi :)

I'm also studying to become a teacher. I know someone who is a sport teacher and someone else who is a French teacher.
I'm from Francen here teachers don't fear parents, they fear children, because they refuse authority and do not respect their teachers (mostly because of their education -_-).
What I can tell is that parents who blame teachers are most of the time the ones to blame... They just don't realize, or don't want to realize, that they missed something or did something wrong with their child.
In France, schools will support their teacher if they are opposed to parents. So, I don't think you shoul really care about them, they think their children are the best (every parents think that in a way) and try to find the reason why their children fail... The best you can do is to explain why their children have difficulties or just ignore them.
I'm worried about pupils in difficult areas, where no one wants to go, and therefore where every new teachers are sent (because you can't decide where you teach for the first 5-10 years). Scary... but I still have a couple of years before becoming a teacher!

(0) (0)
ImageImage

Post Posted: Jul 15th, '13, 21:09    

kashumaru
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 5554
Mood: Flustered and returning to ...
Okay to start off with there are equally bad teachers as bad parents.

I have moved a LOT when I was a kid and I have come to know only 5 teacher's I have come to respect. They were dedicated to their work, protective of each student, and encouraging.

I have met bad ones as well. I don't blame those teacher's though because it is the school's responsibility to look for what is best for our education and the principles where mostly terrible as well.

I do wish that teacher's went a different route on parent teacher conferences and other events that deals with grades and discussions. I have went to a few and my mom refused to go to any of them because our teacher's always said your child is straight A's but they need to pay attention and not talk during class thing. A parent wants encouragement that their little one has confidence in themselves.

I was taught that it takes a person 3 positive things to say to replace the one negative thing they said towards someone to make that someone feel more confident and better about themselves. A child should feel encouraged to try harder not feel that they tried and it wasn't good enough because then they give up. Maybe suggest a way to help the child advance rather then say they suck and need to do better. Give them challenges that are fun, make class enjoyable and exciting but not to the point they forget they are learning.

I feel that if you are excited to teach and want what is best for the children you will become an amazing teacher. I hope to be one as well one of these days or a caregiver for poor families that work late nights since I almost raised all of my siblings and have a little one of my own. I look for their future and encourage them to try and if they need help I am there to try and guide them. If I don't have a clue I try finding someone who can encourage them and make them comfortable to go at a pace that suits them

(0) (0)
My Dream Avi!!! <3
Dream List:
Flame Hair 2
Cloud Spirits
Butterfly Lair Pet (Red)
Valentine 2011 Skin
Angel Background 2011 (Purple)
Easter '11 Lips
Chinatown Frame

Coltish Kitsune Ears (Fire Orange)
Coltish Kitsune Tail (Fire Orange)
Air Gen 4 Eyes (Turquoise)
Winter '12 Headband
Celebriwen Necklace (Fire Orange)
Bone Earrings
Arm Bandage (Turquoise)
Abby Shirt (Burgundy)

Post Posted: Jul 28th, '13, 16:31    

memoriam
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 93826
Mood: Mourning my fur baby...
I agree that some parents just can't understand their child is lazy or simply dumb. There are that kind of children, let's not deny it. But when it's a teacher's fault the teacher would know. So just don't let the crazy parents drive you mad. I think that's all :qcute:

(0) (0)

In need of materials? Go to ~Memoriam's~
Try your luck looking for avatar items in the ~Badger Burrow~
Looking to sell/buy/trade knuffels?

Dec 21st/22nd 2016, R.I.P. Tila. We'll miss you, you cuddly little stinker <3
Dec 7th 2019, R.I.P. Candy. I'm sorry, my sweet little rumball...

Post Posted: Sep 16th, '13, 23:22    

Peparexa
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 10920
In elementary school, I had a bad PE teacher. In fifth grade, I had all As, except for PE and math. Of course, I didn't complain, because I knew that I didn't deserve more. But, in eight grade, I tried a lot harder, and I managed to get all As, except for PE. But, I knew that I did deserve A in PE that time.

I asked the teacher about it, and he reminded me that I didn't run for the grade for a few times, even though he knows that I have asthma and that I can't run. Even my doctor told him that. In fifth and sixth grade, I did run, but I was still choking for at least ten minutes after that, and he saw it. But, he still didn't want to give me A because of that. My dad talked to him, and I finally managed to get an A. I know that I didn't deserve more than B in fifth grade, but I really did deserve an A in eight grade.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 12th, '13, 00:03    

qt stripes
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 33385
Mood: 在睡眠
personally I believe the parent is and should be the most important teacher child has, from the very moment she/he is born..

but that put to a side when child attends the school, it is the parents job to give all the possible support she can to the teacher, whether it's in the form doing home work together and making it pleasurable experience together so that the child learns to enjoy studying/learning and will continue to do so when she goes to school.

But obviously we don't live in a perfect world and one of the problems I can see with teaching is that when you put prox.25 children in a bundle to learn there is going to be trouble, not just to do with the support that should work in between the parents and the teachers, but all children are different and learn in different ways, and if you have only one teacher and one assistant they hardly going to be able to detect what works with each individual child.
And sadly sometimes because of this children are left academically behind, not because they are not academically as smart as others, but because their way of learning is different and maybe they are more visual and need smaller groups to be able to concentrate..

Anyhow that's my input and because I have a child as the latter one mentioned I feel I have a need to start home schooling her at some point, but time will show, the teacher knows our concerns, but we'll soon hear what he has noticed.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 12th, '13, 13:56    

amalath
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 66946
Mood: hurting.
This can be a pretty tough indeed. Many parents want their children to be smart and intelligent and prefer living in denial, then understanding their kid isn't as perfect as they think it is.

I don't know how your education system works, but in my school teachers keep all the tests that kids have to pass and in case angry parent comes to school, they just give him a test to see. That way parents know what exactly their kid did wrong and can't blame teacher for giving unfair grade. I guess most important is to stay cool and keep your system clear, so both kids and parents understand where each grade came from.

(0) (0)
30. Pansexual, mentally genderless, pagan, and full of attitude. Born female. Is a cat. Call me ama. I eat people. Ó~Ò_F

Qui-Gon Jinn wrote:
Be mindful of the living Force, my young Padawan.
TimTam wrote:
ama must be mad. XD
Merrymaking wrote:
I wanted to die in a bloody fashion. And now I don't even die at all. I don't get crucified, either. It's stupid.
kaguya wrote:
Once I remembered my birthday because the bread went out of date on it. @[email protected]
Hinote no Akai wrote:
some other random conversation
I just mostly laugh to my comps
or shout at them
I think his head is ok
STARGATE!
LOOOOL

Post Posted: Oct 13th, '13, 01:36    

ShortAxel
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 4968
In my experience, parents don't put enough effort into their children as far as discipline, learning, respect, etc go. But at the same time, again in my experience, most of the teachers I had were AWFUL. I had a handful of okay teachers and an even smaller handful of amazing teachers, which I'm very thankful for.

Many parents need to stop living in denial that their child is amazing and perfect and can do no wrong, while at the same time teachers need to undergo some sort of testing on a yearly basis with ineffective ones fired (or required to be re-trained or something).

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 17th, '13, 16:42    

Saii
Hugs: 7493
Mood: Bluh.
As someone who is going to school to be a teacher, I have a bit of a view on both sides of this.

Some parents are uncaring about raising their children; I've seen the kids who brag about failing tests, behave terribly in school, but the parents don't do thing to fix it or put a stop to it.

On the same token, there are plenty of teachers who merely see children as a lost cause, and believe that just because the parents don't care that they shouldn't either.

Both parents and teachers play a part in the development of a child's development. Even if one side is not good, the other side can still influence a child and help them grow up well. In an ideal world, teachers and parents would communicate well in order to make sure their child gets what he/she needs if there are issues.

(0) (0)
Let us not forget our dear friends, the cuttlefish.
---
Check out and feed my other Knuffels too!

Post Posted: Nov 4th, '13, 00:11    

Tiamatsan
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 15105
I can honestly say that it's never really the child's fault but the parents and you really can't expect the parents to change who they are. You can try to help their child the best you can, but honestly if you've done everything that you can then even if they complain to you, you can stand firm in your decision.

(0) (0)