Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate Games My Account Help

Jump to:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Does Breastfeeding in Public Offend You?
Post Posted: Aug 10th, '14, 17:56    

Sanssouci
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 32913
No, it doesn't offend me. Breastfeeding is far better for the baby's health and the mother's health than formula. Breastfeeding is even better than pumping breast milk into a bottle. Yet a lot of women don't breastfeed their baby because they're too embarrassed to breastfeed in public and can't quickly get to a bathroom or don't want to sit in a dirty stinky bathroom to feed their baby. I think it's awful that we live in a society that would rather have women sacrifice their health and their baby's health just because some people feel a little funny seeing a little bit of a woman's breast. It's stupid. So I love to see women breastfeeding in public. It means that they care about their baby's health. And every woman breastfeeding in public might give the next woman the courage to do the same.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Aug 12th, '14, 04:49    

DSRune
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 5320
No, it doesn't bother me at all. It is actually better for both, the baby and it's mother who, anyway, usually uses a blanket to cover herself.

(0) (0)
Cute little knuffels this way!
ImageImageImage

Post Posted: Oct 14th, '14, 08:21    

Betty_Smith
Hugs: 146
Mood: Happy
When your baby is hungry, trust me nothing matters! And if it annoys you then I guess it is your problem and not ours. Breastfeeding in public is absolutely OKAY with me :)

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 19th, '14, 05:14    

Yumi123
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 4337
I can't believe that this is still an issue. I can understand why people might get uncomfortable if a mother yanks out her breast for everyone to see, but if she's covered, like with a blanket or something, it shouldn't be a problem. It's not fair to the mother if she needs to stop everything she's doing, pack everything up and lug it into a dirty, cramped stall just so that she can feed her baby and not upset all the people who think that boobs are taboo or whatever. It's fine. It's natural. Women who do breastfeed should be thanked because it's now known how beneficial breastfeeding is for babies.
One time I was with my church group and we traveled out to a concert thing. One of the adults had a baby [slept right through the loud concert music, woke up crying when we went outside to go home. Babies are strange.] When we got out of the van, she sat up in the seat and asked me to close the door. I didn't hear what she said, so I turned back and looked into the van to ask her what she asked for. She had already started breastfeeding and yeah that told me what we asked for. I was a little embarrassed at first because boobs are private and I just got a good look at one of hers. Her baby was already feeding so it's head was in the way, but still. I was old enough to know what was going on. When she joined us, she pulled me off to the side and told me that she wasn't upset with me, she just noticed that there were some men nearby who were looking her way.

(0) (0)
help me in my quest!
1 x Gold Bullion, 8 x Earth Potion, 16 x Heart Balloon, 18 x Eel

Image~Image~Image~Image~Image~Image

Post Posted: Oct 19th, '14, 08:04    

Telos
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 955
I don't really get offended by public breastfeeding, but I do think that the mother should use a blanket/shawl or something instead of just whipping it out. Not just to ward off people who might try to stare, but out of respect to others who might feel uncomfortable; I don't think it would necessarily be a "Oh no, boobies are offending me!" thing, but it would make a lot of people uncomfortable as they worry about offending the mother, i.e. being mistaken for staring if they look in her direction, or if it's at a restaurant and she's breastfeeding while a waiter's trying to take her order.

As long as everyone's respectful of each other, I don't have a problem with it.

(0) (0)
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Post Posted: Oct 19th, '14, 08:21    

Starlight
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 4802
Mood: ' u '

No, not really! However there are times and places where it might be inappropriate to do so, so it really depends on the situation.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 20th, '14, 08:52    

toxxic
Hugs: 993
I find it kind of funny that people (especially men) get so upset when breasts are being used for their intended purpose, instead of as entertainment for them.

I think they should cover up for their own privacy/so gross people don't stare, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with it. It's human anatomy and people should stop being so afraid of it.

It's because of nipples. Men can show theirs, women can't. Women can show as much of their breast as they want but as soon as a nipple comes out, they get in trouble. Which is so dumb because male nipples can get erect when aroused and lactate too. Breasts are not sex organs, so there should be no issue.

(0) (0)
Please feed/play with my knuffels!

Post Posted: Oct 20th, '14, 11:09    

Tocxica
Hugs: 1636
As a formerly breastfeeding momma myself, I want to let everyone in on a little secret; it makes us just as uncomfortable as it does you. You're constantly afraid that someone is going to get sanctimonious and complain to you about how disgusting you are or how "there are children around" or worse yet "Jesus, just cover up, no one wants to see that". Breastfeeding mothers are terrified of the judgement that spews forth from people like that. But the facts are; coverups can be hot and uncomfortable for both mother and child (especially in the dead of a Florida summer where you risk giving your kid heat stroke by covering up to feed for more than three minutes), bathrooms are disgusting places to attempt to breastfeed in (not to mention unsanitary, a big no-no for little developing immune systems), pumping is a hassle (not to mention impossible or painful for some mothers), and too few places offer sufficient areas for breastfeeding moms. Trust me, 80% of us would stay at home until the kid is weaned if it meant avoiding hauling our sleep-deprived, engorged, bleeding selves from the warm comfort of our Netflix queues to leak boob juice all over the place when the kid starts crying and we have to worry about wrangling a sweltering hot cover from our overstuffed diaper bags, rushing to a room designed for pooping and pissing (something we get enough of every two hours or so), or worrying that people are going to be aghast at covertly pulling our shirts open and unhooking the flap in the nursing bra to feed our screaming spawn.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 20th, '14, 22:35    

Panda Bear
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 2542
Mood: Panda hugs <3
I don't think it's offensive at all. Privacy covers are nice, but not necessary in my opinion. babies have to eat!

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 21st, '14, 06:46    

LennyAngel
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 7897
Mood: Relaxed
Tocxica wrote:
As a formerly breastfeeding momma myself, I want to let everyone in on a little secret; it makes us just as uncomfortable as it does you. You're constantly afraid that someone is going to get sanctimonious and complain to you about how disgusting you are or how "there are children around" or worse yet "Jesus, just cover up, no one wants to see that". Breastfeeding mothers are terrified of the judgement that spews forth from people like that. But the facts are; coverups can be hot and uncomfortable for both mother and child (especially in the dead of a Florida summer where you risk giving your kid heat stroke by covering up to feed for more than three minutes), bathrooms are disgusting places to attempt to breastfeed in (not to mention unsanitary, a big no-no for little developing immune systems), pumping is a hassle (not to mention impossible or painful for some mothers), and too few places offer sufficient areas for breastfeeding moms. Trust me, 80% of us would stay at home until the kid is weaned if it meant avoiding hauling our sleep-deprived, engorged, bleeding selves from the warm comfort of our Netflix queues to leak boob juice all over the place when the kid starts crying and we have to worry about wrangling a sweltering hot cover from our overstuffed diaper bags, rushing to a room designed for pooping and pissing (something we get enough of every two hours or so), or worrying that people are going to be aghast at covertly pulling our shirts open and unhooking the flap in the nursing bra to feed our screaming spawn.

This, just all of this.

I think people wouldn't feel so uncomfortable if they knew what to do. So, why not ask? Ask the woman breastfeeding how she would like you to act in this situation. Is it okay to look at the baby feeding? Would she prefer you avert your gaze? What does SHE want? She's the one with the baby, she's the one who has to have her nipple yanked on by a tiny mouth. What's so scary about just talking to her?
While, yeah, there are ways to be subtle about it, I can imagine that many mothers are quite exhausted and sometimes subtlety is hard. Deal with it. It's a boob. It's a nipple. It isn't going to eat you, and at one time or another, you have been in contact with someone else's nipple. You HAVE nipples. Calm the farm.

(0) (0)
Life is beautiful

What I say is my opinion, what you say is yours. If I offend or hurt in anyway, tell me, and I'll apologise because I probably didn't intend it. In fact, the possibility probably didn't even enter my little head; there's not much room in there for many things.

Languages are beautiful. Respect the one you are using.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next