It's cool 33%  33%  [ 89 ]
It's creepy 10%  10%  [ 26 ]
It's silly 8%  8%  [ 21 ]
It's food 49%  49%  [ 131 ]
Total votes : 267
 Post subject: Other World
Post Posted: Jan 9th, '13, 07:38    

emilyoni
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 6603
A lot of people believe in some kind of other world.

Faerie land, spirit world, heaven, hell, different planes of existence, web of energy, stuff like that. I know there are differences but they're all along the lines of some kind of "other world".

So I was discussing it the other night with my friends. Angels, demons, ghosts, faeries, spirits, all that kind of stuff. (It was also late at night and we were discussing the particularly spooky stuff which wasn't a good idea...)

I look more into faeries so when I think of all the other things, I think of them as different kinds of faeries. Things like angels, demons, vampires, etc., I tend to look at them as different kinds of faeries. And there are people who, let's say they believe in the heaven and hell concept, they tend to look at things from that perspective. Like how ghosts are people who didn't get into heaven or hell so they're left on earth. I think that shows that these things are all more or less along the same lines in how they exist but everyone just has different names for them and think of them differently.

I read somewhere that all these kinds of beings just decide to appear to different people in different ways and it also depends on what you're willing to accept. Don't believe in angels? They'll come in the form of an animal guide. Don't believe in animal guides? They'll come to you in the form of a guardian dragon. Don't believe in dragons? They'll come in the form of an imaginary friend from your childhood. Don't/didn't have an imaginary friend? They'll come to you in a dream. Etc. Also, what kind of person you are will attract different kinds of things. I guess that makes sense since people tend to be attracted to people who are similar to themselves in some way.

What kind of other world(s) do you believe in?
Do you feel like you're very in touch with some kind of other world?
My friend said that if you believe in one thing, then you have to accept the possibility of everything else. What do you think of that?

(0) (0)
ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Other World
Post Posted: Jan 9th, '13, 12:16    

Zupprika
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 59327
Mood: tired
I don't believe in any other world. Well, actually, I'm not saying there is no possibility of it existing, but I just won't believe it until I see it.
I think there are forms of life somewhere on other planets for example, but nothing with magical powers that appears to us when we need it.

I also think people like to believe in other worlds because it makes them less anxious about the future (life after death for example), the present ("I have a guardian angel/lucky fairy with me !") and also because it makes them dream (I mean, sparkly little magical fairies and unicorns ARE awesome !).

Also, when you believe in something, you're going to look for it.
For example, if a door moves by itself :
- A person who doesn't believe in ghosts/spirits will say "meh, just the wind".
- A person who does believe in ghosts/spirits will say "OMG, a ghost/spirit is here, maybe he's looking for me !"
For me, that's the rational explanation of what you read (they come to you in the form you like, and because you like it, you're interpreting things in order to make it real).

I'm sorry, I may be too rational, but until I have reliable evidence, none of it exists for me...
But I do like ghost stories, or thinking about other worlds :D
For me, it's just imagination though...

(0) (0)
Image Image Image

Post Posted: Jan 10th, '13, 02:57    

Banal Octopus
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 1045
I don't really buy the traditional sense of "other world" I guess? What I believe in is essentially the Many-Worlds theory of the universe(s) in which every iteration of your current reality exists altered in another universe. Meaning that there's a lot of universes out there. It's actually quite a fascinating theory and there's proof neither for nor against it.

Here's an article if anyone wants to read up on it.

It's kind of like taking Schrodinger's Cat except in like, terms of universes instead of atoms? I mean, I'm no quantum physicist, but that's what I believe anyway.

So in theory, vampires and the like could very well exist in other universes if not in our own.

(0) (0)
ImageImageImage
The ruminations are mine; Let the world be yours.
- Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves
[ dream ] [ flavors.me ] [ roleplay ]
Questing Gen 4 Fire Knuffel.

Post Posted: Jan 10th, '13, 10:37    

emilyoni
Faeries are actually nature spirits. Like how we're all alive the same way trees are alive. They're the spirits of trees and plants and things like that.

By other world, I meant the kind that exists alongside ours. Well, not so much alongside but the less physical part. You know, how we all have a certain energy and stuff. Like with chakra systems and things like that. There are all these little things of energy there. All these things that take form are just abstract concepts that take a physical form for us in a way we accept. Even the things we see physically we only see because we accept it.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jan 31st, '13, 04:56    

Marix
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 460
Mood: Stressed and hungry
It's not something I ever really put much thought into, because I'm of a mind that the things here and now in the physical realm (assuming there is another realm) is more important.

Regardless, I don't believe in any other realm of existence because there's no solid evidence for it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist and I wouldn't want to imply that, but scientifically it's something that we'll probably never know. I think that other issues are much more worth thinking about, such as the advancement of the human race, finding habitable planets in case our population growth doesn't stop when it's supposed to, curing diseases and making life better... Spiritual things don't really have a place there.

But I am interested in hearing what other people think. Mythology, religion, ...those are some of my biggest interests besides science. I think the notion of nothing really being real is sort of crazy. I've heard that a few times, and although I can't ever rule out the possibility that the physical realm is really just an illusion for our spirits to wander in, I think I'd still rather spend my time making the illusion realm better aha.

The idea of parallel universes is very interesting to me, though, and is something that is scientifically very possible. So in theory, everything could exist somewhere. Actually I'm pretty sure I have a book about this by a theoretical physicist that I haven't read yet...so maybe I'll do that and then get back to this thread.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Feb 1st, '13, 05:31    

emilyoni
Ah, no worries, not everyone can believe in everything. I'm actually the other way around, I should probably spend more time thinking about this physical world I'm in but tend to spend more time in my head (it's a Pisces thing, another personal belief).

The parallel/multiple worlds/universes thing is something I've thought a lot about though. I actually started thinking about it back in middle school after I read Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. If you haven't read it, it's a children's book about how all books are their own world kind of like this theory. I started extending that to the anime I watched, then my own little stories and imagination. Sometimes I wonder if perhaps all these things already exist in their own way and the things people come up with are just those worlds combining with ours in a way.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Feb 4th, '13, 11:58    

Twilightday
Hugs: 13796
if there was another world out there some where, i imagined it to be compleatly unlike ours. no creatures that resembel human at all and it would be filled with mostly colors like black and grey. i'd say it's creepy because it's a place i'd never be able to get use to and also if i ever went then i'd be all alone so if there is another world then i wish that i'd never have to go.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 6th, '13, 17:02    

Rinnaris
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 3493
Mood: Tired!!!!!!
I like to believe in what little I understand of the multiverse, so for me the different types of worlds that I believe in are infinite. But as far as another world hidden in our world, I always liked the old stories of faeries. The ones who stole children and were afraid of or allergic to iron, those interested me and I like to believe in them.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 6th, '13, 17:17    

CoaCoa666
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 2876
Mood: Procrastinating V_V
When it comes to "worlds", not lifeforms on other planets, I do lean slightly towards parallel universes. It just sounds rather interesting. But I'm a rather skeptical person so I can only wish for its existence. :mctongue:

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 6th, '13, 17:55    

Lestrade
Hugs: 4138
Honestly, I think if faeries existed there'd be SOME kind of evidence pointing toward it after thousands and thousands of years of human exploration and scientific study. I've noticed a lot more people believe in that kind of thing on this site than anywhere else I've ever been on the Internet though -- strikes me as interesting, heh.

(0) (0)