Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate Games My Account Help

Jump to:

Healthier Schools
Yes 49%  49%  [ 141 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 15 ]
Both (In between) 22%  22%  [ 64 ]
Undecided 24%  24%  [ 68 ]
Total votes : 288
 Post subject: Re: should school(s) have healthier meal(s)???
Post Posted: Jan 15th, '13, 17:52    

casey
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 661715
Mood: youtubing~
You sound like a rallying politician.

(0) (0)

click on the crow to find out more about my doggy Kimi! subscribe, maybe? ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

------- Hoje eu não sou, hoje eu não estou
--------------------------sou uma chaga sempre aberta
---------------------------------e o teu abraço só aperta onde eu não sou...

YT FB TMBLR

Post Posted: Jan 16th, '13, 06:28    

emilyoni
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 6603
Schools aren't the only place kids eat. If schools don't have something kids like, they'll just go to the McDonald's across the street and the school will lose money.

(0) (0)
ImageImage

Post Posted: Jan 18th, '13, 07:02    

Finch
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 17375
Mood: ???
I think the real issue here is that parents need to be more responsible when it comes to their kids' nutritional needs.

Take five minutes to help your child pack a lunch instead of slipping them some money to buy some packaged crap.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jan 18th, '13, 18:10    

CrazyMae
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 10651
Mood: NEED TO GO PEEEEE
Nefarious Rainbows wrote:
I think the real issue here is that parents need to be more responsible when it comes to their kids' nutritional needs.

Take five minutes to help your child pack a lunch instead of slipping them some money to buy some packaged crap.

This. I mean, parents should worry about their kids health. It doesn't take that long to pack a simple lunch. I'm homeschooled, so I wouldn't know much, but really, you just let your kid get fat? :qstr:

(0) (0)
Thanks Alezandla, Epiphany and bunnyonfire10 for the kind words, gifts and so much help! You guys are the greatest! <3

Post Posted: Jan 27th, '13, 08:43    

emilyoni
Mea Diua wrote:
Even if a parent packs a lunch doesn't necessarily mean the child will eat it.

My mum works as a lunch supervisor at my old middle school and she always sees kids throwing out their whole lunch. Then they either buy a burger or they just don't eat.

She always says she'd rather us bring something home if we don't like it 'cause then at least she knows we don't like it and there's no point in packing it if we're just gonna throw it out. Then, she tries to find out what we do like so she can pack us that. For example, she would give me juice in one of those tuperwear sippy cup things. At 13, I did not want to drink out of a sippy cup. So she started buying me juice boxes instead but made sure they were healthy ones.

Honestly, kids are going to like at least something from each food group. My brother was the pickiest eater ever especially with fruit but the few fruits he did like were oranges, raspberries, and strawberries so my mum would just give him a shit load of oranges, raspberries, and strawberries.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Feb 15th, '13, 22:38    

Yokuutsu
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 4470
Mood: I just want to sleep
They should have healthy options for those who want healthy, but good food choices start at home, with the parents making the right choices for their children and teaching them how to do the same.

I have talked to people and you know what kids do when they can only choose "healthy" food? They go home and pig out on the tasty food there. So either way, we lose because parents aren't teaching their kids to make healthy food choices and all.

Also, kids can bring lunches from home instead of paying the school to feed them.

(0) (0)
Questing: 11 x Earth Ring, 16 x Valentine Water

I am so far behind on castle quests.

Also: Always looking for MxM rps

Post Posted: Feb 16th, '13, 23:21    

soulreaper
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 3894
I think they should have better food. I'm currently in high school at the moment and instead of giving us better food, my school if just giving us lesser amounts of greasy food to cut back on calories. Calories are fine if they are from good foods, but when its something from greased soaked pizza and a mac and cheese that looks like it has yellow colored glue in it instead of cheese, there are some issues. I refuse to eat the food at the school I go to. I often have just a small fiber one granola bar; but while that may keep me threw the day until dinner, it wont keep athletes for very long since they'll burn it up quickly. I read that someone posted that we'll just go to McDonald's. We only have a Subway in town. The closest McDonald's is a thirty minute drive away.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Feb 17th, '13, 23:04    

bombus
Hugs: 25916
Mood: bats in the belfry
schools should have healthier meal choices, with out a doubt. think about the large population of children who are living under the poverty level and rely on the free meal programs for a large part of their nutritional needs.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Feb 20th, '13, 23:18    

Tenko
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 7734
Yes. I don't see how this is a debate. I do understand students can get unhealthy food elsewhere, but that'll be on their/their parents' dime, not the school's. I think many children eat unhealthful food, because it's easily obtained. If the children had to make fried chicken, french fries, and onion rings themselves by scratch, would they eat that everyday? I doubt it. But it's so easy to get it at school cafeterias nowadays. It's sad. I understand that the government subsidizes (?) the food, so it's cheaper, so it's easier for the schools to get it. It's still sad. I think students deserve better.

(0) (0)
Image Image Image Image
Click my knuffels, pretty please with a cherry on top?

Post Posted: Feb 22nd, '13, 00:24    

AstaTheBroken
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 28078
Mood: Bored
They should serve healthier food, but the schools also need to take children's needs into account.

With some of the new initiatives out there, students who get school lunches and eat all the food are going hungry, because they're 6' star athletes. There's not enough calories for them.

Also, I disagree with the USDA's food pyramid; starchy carbs should not be getting such a huge serving in proportion to vegetables, fruits, and proteins.

Anyway, schools should offer healthier options, and they should be options that taste good (fresh seasonal vegetables, instead of canned green beans). There are parents that don't care, but that doesn't mean the schools should also not care.

Students should have the option of getting additional servings of healthy food (a second piece of chicken or more salad, but no seconds on cake), and teachers/aides should not police the lunches that parents pack for their children.

(0) (0)
Image Image
Looking for arts for a vampire OC. PM me if interested.