Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate Games My Account Help

Jump to:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Healthier Schools
Yes 49%  49%  [ 141 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 15 ]
Both (In between) 22%  22%  [ 64 ]
Undecided 24%  24%  [ 68 ]
Total votes : 288
 Post subject: Re: should school(s) have healthier meal(s)???
Post Posted: Feb 24th, '13, 09:50    

emilyoni
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 6603
[quote="Tenko"]Yes. I don't see how this is a debate. I do understand students can get unhealthy food elsewhere, but that'll be on their/their parents' dime, not the school's./quote]

No, the students are allowed off school property at lunch time. They just go across the street to the McDonalds there.

(0) (0)
ImageImage

Post Posted: Feb 24th, '13, 23:47    

soulreaper
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 3894
emilyoni wrote:
Tenko wrote:
Yes. I don't see how this is a debate. I do understand students can get unhealthy food elsewhere, but that'll be on their/their parents' dime, not the school's.

No, the students are allowed off school property at lunch time. They just go across the street to the McDonalds there.

Actually most elementary, middle, and high schools in America don't allow us to leave the building.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Feb 25th, '13, 00:44    

emilyoni
soulreaper wrote:
emilyoni wrote:
Tenko wrote:
Yes. I don't see how this is a debate. I do understand students can get unhealthy food elsewhere, but that'll be on their/their parents' dime, not the school's.

Actually most elementary, middle, and high schools in America don't allow us to leave the building.

I live in Canada. Elementary and middle schools have the kids stay on school property but all the high schools I know of let the kids off 'cause you can't fit 400 kids in a cafeteria meant for 100 at most.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Apr 7th, '13, 07:29    

Lock
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 348
I know some kids at school who get free lunches, school is the ONLY place they eat all day. Their family just can't afford it, or they can't afford healthy food at home. Schools should provide fresh fruits and vegetables to students. What they have now is pretty nasty.

Though I can say first hand school lunch is hugely superior to hospital and jail food. I wasn't going to risk the meat so I mostly ate just white bread.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 6th, '13, 13:23    

Aerin
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 23790
Mood: Exhausted...
I think the food should be healthy and appealing. Healthy food that won't be eaten is useless... Even if some students goes out for lunch, having the possibility to eat healthier thing is important. And if the lunch is less expensive than fast food, it should motivate them to eat at school... Hopefully.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 6th, '13, 14:11    

qt stripes
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 33336
Mood: 在睡眠
it depends which country you are at, in UK defo, but in finland i think we had pretty balanced meals.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 6th, '13, 14:51    

Siri Skirata
Hugs: 1618
My schools had healthier lunches (not saying they were completely healthy). I always went for the salad because it was the only choice that didn't set off my gag reflex. My school lunches, however, were not free. And it was cheaper to bring pb&j sandwiches for lunch.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 6th, '13, 15:34    

Amaryllis
Hugs: 13774
Mood: tired
In my old school, they use to serve us hamburgers, chicken nuggets, blah blah.

(0) (0)
¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸
“A smile is the best way to get away with trouble even if it’s a fake one.”
Image Image Image
--
Image Image Image
.¸¸•´¯`•.¸¸.•...¸¸•´¯`•.¸¸.•..Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Post Posted: Jul 6th, '13, 15:42    

CoaCoa666
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 2876
Mood: Procrastinating V_V
Generally my school serves "okay" meals. They're not exactly "healthy" like salads or fruit, but they aren't exactly "Mc Donalds" either. Most kids in my school just go to shops/restaurants outside of school during lunch time anyway, and usually fastfood seems to be the cheaper more convenient way for those who don't bring their own lunch.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 6th, '13, 16:34    

Rinnaris
Hugs: 3493
Mood: Tired!!!!!!
My school has pretty healthy choices, but the problem isn't really the cafeteria menu it's the fact that student can pay five dollars for a healthy meal or walk next door to pay two dollars for mcdonalds. The problem will always be that no matter how good a food is for you, something bad will always taste better, and probably be cheaper. We can't just put healthy food in the cafeteria and expect students to come, prices need to go down and the food needs to taste better (like it didn't just come out of a deep freezer). Then the issue will solve itself.

(0) (0)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next