Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate Games My Account Help

Jump to:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Healthier Schools
Yes 49%  49%  [ 141 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 15 ]
Both (In between) 22%  22%  [ 64 ]
Undecided 24%  24%  [ 68 ]
Total votes : 288
 Post subject: Re: should school(s) have healthier meal(s)???
Post Posted: Jul 6th, '13, 21:58    

rosedragonfire
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 11761
I think a lot of people who have posted have hit the nail on the head. xD

Anyway, I went to SEVERAL schools in my lifetime, and I'm one year away from becoming a teacher, so school lunches will always been something I'll have to deal with. xD

Like everything else, school lunches are different across the globe. I was quite lucky during my senior year, as the school I graduated from offered several choices. I don't think people give students enough credit when it comes to eating healthy, as the vast majority of students in that school would rush to get the salads before they were out. After all, sometimes the healthier selection tastes better than the main cafeteria food of that day. :qhehe:

(0) (0)

~My Deviant Art~

Post Posted: Jul 7th, '13, 09:13    

-Mary-
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 50
Mood: Stressed
I think school food should be healthy and be good quality. For some people the only meal they get is from their school.

My school is somewhat poor and because of this the food can be low grade, unhealthy food. Most of the time I will just give my school lunch away to someone else and just wait until 11 at night for dinner (everyone ,at my house, is back home around 11). Though I will eat a small snack to hold me over. I would pack, but I don't like most pack-able foods and food that I would want to eat is either too expensive or won't keep cool long enough. Because of all of this I faint a lot. :mccry:

Oh don't even get me started on the school's so called "milk". "mcangry"

This is only some of the stuff that I don't like about my school. :mcgasp:

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 7th, '13, 18:05    

Zupprika
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 59191
Mood: tired
Healthier meal = more expensive meal. School meals have to be cheap.

Where I went to school, we always had veggies (not fresh) in our meals.
The thing was we could chose what we ate, so nobody took the vegetables. I think school meals should be healthy, but I don't think it'll help against obesity.

(0) (0)
Image Image Image

Post Posted: Jul 7th, '13, 18:39    

LunarKitten
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 3499
i totally agree that schools should have healthier meals however there's an issue with mass production, because all the things that are made in bulk are unhealthy it's easier for schools to use that, i guess they could think that if people want to eat healthier they could make their own meals

(0) (0)
Nya =^-.-^=

Post Posted: Jul 7th, '13, 19:27    

Pwale
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 12252
Of course schools should have healthier meals. They should also have edible meals.

(0) (0)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Faeries: 5

Post Posted: Jul 7th, '13, 19:34    

Kurokoo
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 3276
Mood: Oddly calm
I guess I'm a bit in between. In my school, I refuse to eat there unless certain items are there. They've completely sacrificed taste for healthiness there, and no one even want's to eat there anymore.

That being said, none of my schools have ever had a very bad obesity problem. Not completely sure why actually, but it's probably because my elementary school was in a very farm-like country area where kids tended to be active anyways, and in high school the students are very adamant about how they look so they focus a lot on it.

So yes, they should have healthy foods, but they also have to remember taste, and the fact that they can't force children to eat it. If they bring unhealthy food from home, that becomes the parents fault and it's a whole different problem.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 21st, '13, 20:48    

kashumaru
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 5535
Mood: Flustered and returning to ...
I've been in health classes when I was pregnant and I've learned that you need to give children the option to choose from a range of foods. If we force an all healthy diet a lot of kids might not even eat. I wish they had a way to have health classes for a requirement in schools that parents needed to attend once or twice a month to try and help with better food choices. My daughter is almost two and I've given her candy and junk food, what parent doesn't. But I've raised her right. If I gave her the choice of eating a skinned apple or a twix, which is her favorite candy bar, she chooses the apple 95% of the time. I buy her even McDonalds and get the chicken nuggets meal. She will always eat her apples first before touching her fries and nuggets.

I hope that other's will learn to eat a bit better. You don't have to not ever eat candy or chips. Just cut back. A small step goes a long ways and progress makes a happy you.

(0) (0)
My Dream Avi!!! <3
Dream List:
Flame Hair 2
Cloud Spirits
Butterfly Lair Pet (Red)
Valentine 2011 Skin
Angel Background 2011 (Purple)
Easter '11 Lips
Chinatown Frame

Coltish Kitsune Ears (Fire Orange)
Coltish Kitsune Tail (Fire Orange)
Air Gen 4 Eyes (Turquoise)
Winter '12 Headband
Celebriwen Necklace (Fire Orange)
Bone Earrings
Arm Bandage (Turquoise)
Abby Shirt (Burgundy)

Post Posted: Jul 22nd, '13, 20:28    

prezial
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 580
Mood: confused
Nellie wrote:
You sound like a rallying politician.

this, hahahah
but i do think schools should have healthier meals

but eating correctly should start with the parents, because they are the people that their kids look up to

(0) (0)
not really here that much anymore
[url=butt-sama.deviantart.com]deviantart[/url]

Post Posted: Jul 23rd, '13, 13:47    

NamaeNoNai
Hugs: 10895
Mood: Officially broke~
Hum dunno, I always bring lunch from home

(0) (0)
I see the moon, the moon sees me
shining through the branches of the old oak tree
oh, let the light that shines on me
shine on the one I love

Post Posted: Jul 24th, '13, 04:06    

Lulena
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 16117
Mood: Ah ah... (´ - ` ) pain..
I personally think all of the world needs healthier meals.
America specially.
Ever watched food inc?
Ugghh...

But anyway - to basically elaborate on what I mean is...

Spoiler: Aka: Read More
Sure we can put in fruit and vegatables into our school's meals instead of soda and chips and that will fix a little piece of the issue.
But when we look at our vegatables and fruit and realize it's all gmo and there was even some stems* of corn that sterilized young boys... uuhhh...You kinda see that the issue isn't just within the cafeteria. it's in our grocery store and huge "food" corporations.. It's literally just a "pick your poison" and a "lesser of the bad" kind of deal now.

And asking for pure organic food sales or just organic food served in schools is almost as unlikely to happen anytime soon as much as asking for gold toilets to be a norm. (bit of an exaggeration but you get the point~~Organic food is pricey.)

Though I know alot of schools that have been switching to nicer meals.
Sadly being raised on a poor diet leads to a poor diet through out life.
If you eat tons of candy, you end up ruining your taste buds so much you can't taste the natural sweet of fruit. Same with salty things.
I have always been someone who enjoyed mild things and hated overly flavorful or spicey. My parents have been different though, and there are some things I find flavor in that my mom will say has none...

Another problem is bad food is cheaper food. . .
and schools basically try and serve the cheapest possible option...

*Stems, not as in corn Stems or rose stem but a line of corn released, an issue, a batch, ect.

(0) (0)
[Inktober 2018] + [Inked Art Shop]

❝ ᴾᶦᵗʸ ˢᵉᵉᵏ ʷʰᵃᵗ ʷᵉ ᵐᶦᵍʰᵗ ᶫᵒˢᵉ          

Kiss and kill, make me still
- - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -

◦☽ мy ωїlđ кηυffєls ☾◦
Stream | Pixiv | Twitter | Tumblr
Furaffinity | Deviantart
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Love or not, it's all I got
      ᴮᵘᵗ ᶦᶰ ᵃ ʷᵉᵉᵏ ᵐᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵒᵘʳ ʷᵉᵃᵏᶰᵉˢˢ ᵉᶫᵘᵈᵉ⋅ ❞

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next