Evolution 46%  46%  [ 79 ]
Creationism 7%  7%  [ 12 ]
Intelligent Design 6%  6%  [ 10 ]
Food Points are the only theory worth believing in 42%  42%  [ 72 ]
Total votes : 173
 Post subject: Re: Evolution vs. Creationism
Post Posted: Apr 8th, '14, 03:22    

qt stripes
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 33385
Mood: 在睡眠
It seems most people are like sheep, they follow majority and what is a popular opinion, rather than investigating the matter for themselves.. or what ever tickles their fancy at that point in their life.

And God definitely at the moment is not popular, and it's like everythings turned back to front, and what use to be valued as good is bad and vise a verse.. and that's called evolution, yet not many stop to consider that it's still called just a theory and yet to be proved. And that actually Bible can prove sound evidence of creation when carefully examined, but obviously if you are already bias and closed in mind sadly you will never be able to see this.

I know I'm most probably going to get lots of stones thrown at me saying this but hey, hence you asked that's my 2 cents to the matter. :)

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Apr 8th, '14, 23:34    

wolfcat87
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 7273
Mood: Interested
Clearly there is much evidence for evolution which means evolution is happening and has happened.

That being said, that doesn't mean that life cannot be created. It's pretty clear that if something with life is creating another something with life then life can't be the origin of life... O.o

Also, intelligent design is clearly not the case since the design of most life forms is in no way intelligent. Not to mention how malicious the current system of life is....

(0) (0)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post Posted: Apr 10th, '14, 23:11    

Zupprika
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 60241
Mood: tired
I'm an atheist, so I'm quite obviously excluding the creation of the world by a superior entity. Science has the answers, according to me. Well, there are still a lot of mysteries, but I'm sure that we'll discover more things with time. After all, we're talking about things that happened so long ago, it's no wonder we can't figure it out easily.
What's sure for me is that it wasn't created, it evolved.
I mean, if it was a god that created everything, explain to me why there are multiple religions, why doesn't everybody believe in the same god ? But no, europeans were christians, arabs have the islam, the greeks, romans and egyptians had multiple gods etc. That's not logical, and it points out, to me, that all these gods are just the answer to everything that we don't understand (no offense meant here, I have full respect for religious people).

Science and creationism are mutually exclusive since we can't explain one theory according to the other. That makes them incompatible.

(0) (0)
Image Image Image

Post Posted: Apr 19th, '14, 05:30    

tavisharts
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 11323
I'm on the evolution side. I still believe in a higher power but to me it makes more sense for him to have set down the mechanisms (chemistry) that would have let this all come to be and just let it run on its own. If it makes it easier for someone to believe that got occasionally tinkers with it then fine. I see no reason to object to that.

The vocal creationists now are not so reasonable however. I honesty do hate their organization because if find it destructive to out society.

I do NOT understand these insane creationists.
1. They always try to use the god of the gaps. This has NEVER worked. As we find out more it just makes god shrink. Not to mention it tries to set it up so that future scientists never solve anything new in science because its something they fear either should not be solved or cannot be solved. This is NOT how a nation progresses scientifically.

2. The theories they propose have no predictive power. You cannot base health science on the idea of miracle. Miracles are by their own nature inconsistent and unreliable. You cannot cure AIDs, leprosy, tuberculosis this way.

3. They have never bothered to do any actual science. They just pull a crazy idea out of their heads and run with it. Reminds me more of what I was reading in The Story of Alchemy and the Beginnings of Chemistry by M. M. Pattison Muir. Just like how the alchemists assumed that because rocks can grow and change by exposure to other elements they must be able to be better more god fearing rocks and thus become gold. In this case we have the insane idea that humans coexisted with dinosaurs and road them like ponies. this is from their own website.

This is as accurate a view of dinosaurs as the lamb of tartary is an accurate view of cotton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_Lamb_of_Tartary

With actual scientists if you disagree and ask why they actually give you an answer, proof, math and examples of what they are talking about. That information is what we should be giving to the public and especially to kids, not fairy-tales and pseudoscience magic.

(0) (0)
Care to play with me?

Post Posted: Apr 19th, '14, 17:02    

AsheSkyler
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 8969
Mood: Defiant and rebellious!
How things work is one of my favorite things to fantasize about, and I love to collect theories, stories, and folklore. For my own beliefs, I go with a creation/evolution mix and I've got it figured out enough that the Big Bang Theory and the Bible agree with each other (except where humans are involved) and that God's still tweaking and adjusting everything. Or put us on autopilot, whichever one I'm in the mood for at the time. Maybe it's the artist in me, but I like to think He got down and got his hands dirty rather than just speaking us all into existence. When I like to get really abstract with it, I like to think of time as something that started at the beginning of our particular universe and is some kind of glue holding it together, and that there were many universes before and after us in this goopy kind of void. Also a good setup for potential extra dimensions.

But I don't argue about the beginning of the world with anybody until we get a time machine and can go watch everything. Or live in a sci-fi world like Star Trek where we can do some real exploring. I just don't find it worth fighting about with anybody. Fantasizing and theorizing, totally! But not arguing.

As for schools, I think it'd be really cool if they'd tell about the faiths of other cultures. (A goddess dancing the world into being is just awesome.) But past the beginning of the world, they should stick to fact as much as possible. And maybe save the theory of bus-sized scorpions being the first things to crawl out of the water for high-school or college classes. What little kid wants to learn about THAT? (Aside from the ones obsessed with bugs.)

(0) (0)
[ Just Another Day (webcomic) ][ Commission me! ][ Etsy ][ dA ]​
[ ~* Space Countdown Game *~ ][ Little Wizard Knuffle ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.

Post Posted: Apr 19th, '14, 20:54    

fournia
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 13237
As a child I wasn't raised with any particular religious or scientific views.
My parents were about as moderate Christians as it gets (which isn't unusual in this area) and never tried to influence my believes regarding god and creation in any way shape or form.
As a child nobody wanted to pull me to their side, as such a thing would have appeared as a type of brainwashing both the religious and non religious side in this region looks down uppon.

That being said, I never had a particular reason to believe in creationism and since up till today I've never heared any argument for believing in it that I found particularly convincing, I don't.
Evolution on the other hand seemed fairly self explaining, we know that the enviroment changes over time, and due to breeding we also know that the shape of species can change.
I never found the thought of drastical changes in a long period of time, to adept to the ever changing enviroment, to be particularly unrealistic or surprising.
In fact non (as in literally not a single one) of the Christians I know (mostly evangelic lutheran protestants) seriously doubts evolution, In all my life I never met any person face to face (besides the door hopping witnesses and mormons, which are mostly strangers in this comunity) who tried to denounce evolution, evolution is just seen as a fact, accepted by both the religious and non religious sides.

To put it shortly, evolution fits the things I know and see about the world
better than creationism does, thats why I believe in evolution. it's not a controversial thing were I live and without early influence, it seams to be the deafault everybody falls to.
as far as I've seen it, the whole debate is usually more dominant in regions with less or worse education than this one.

That being said, while nobody I know seriously doubts evolution nobody really understands how life came to be in the first place, and usually that is the point which Christians in this area like to argue.
To be honest, regarding this topic I have no every day observations that support one idea over the other, which is the reason why I usually don't argue about that topic (I don't like people arguing about stuff they don't know the first thing about)

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Apr 20th, '14, 22:31    

tavisharts
@ AsheSkyler
I would love a class like that too. As long as it was done with no leanings towards any one religion and it actually goes into details about a large variety. It would help for economics because the world is more globalized now to know what the religions and practices in other markets you may work in. Further with the bible because of how many biblical allusions appear in literature it makes understanding older works easier. It just has to be handled very delicately because it's easy to offend on this subject and to swing to preferring/validating one religion over others.

You may like Demonology and Devil-lore by Moncure Daniel Conway It talks about world religions, how they develop and what happens when they collide and gods are either absorbed or converted to "devils." It's a great read if you like mythology.

Back on subject. I apologize if I come across as a bit bristly about the subject tho. I think the books that better describe some of my views on this is creationism vs evolutionand demon haunted world It's just hard for me to go into much with this subject without being snarky.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Apr 21st, '14, 03:11    

AsheSkyler
Eh, I'm from Alabama and I grew up on the internet. I'd believe the aliens built the pyramids before I'd believe a bunch of strangers of differing viewpoints could be thrown together and discuss religion without any animosity popping up. XD

That sounds like a pretty cool book. And even better, it's on Project Gutenberg! Sweet! I'll have to keep an eye out for when poor Pan got drafted to be Satan. Thankie!

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Jul 28th, '14, 13:02    

Azmodel
Hugs: 7700
Mood: is high on scones... so goo...
Evolution for me.

I can understand the Creationists who believe God quick started the universe and let it expand. What I just cannot understand are those morons trying to fit the dinosaurs in Eden. They remind me way too much of the time where any scientific idea contrary to the Bible led to repression and danger to one's life. With people like that we would still believe the Earth to be flat ! It appals me to see some trying to go back to such times of obscurantism.

(0) (0)

ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Posted: Jul 28th, '14, 23:08    

light_sucks
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 75716
Mood: Extremely depressed
qt stripes wrote:
It seems most people are like sheep, they follow majority and what is a popular opinion, rather than investigating the matter for themselves.. or what ever tickles their fancy at that point in their life.

And God definitely at the moment is not popular, and it's like everythings turned back to front, and what use to be valued as good is bad and vise a verse.. and that's called evolution, yet not many stop to consider that it's still called just a theory and yet to be proved. And that actually Bible can prove sound evidence of creation when carefully examined, but obviously if you are already bias and closed in mind sadly you will never be able to see this.

I know I'm most probably going to get lots of stones thrown at me saying this but hey, hence you asked that's my 2 cents to the matter. :)

You seem not to understand the difference between scientific theory and theory.

Quote:
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method, and repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation.

Quote:
Theory - a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.

They are two completely different things.

Gravity is 'only a theory' as you say, but you don't go jumping off of cliffs do you?

The bible is NOT a good place to learn science. For one it was written THOUSANDS of years ago AND has been badly translated hundreds and hundreds of times.

It says that bats are birds, that the moon gives off it's own light, claims that two of every animal got on ONE boat (btw, there were a LOT more types of animals back then), says that rabbits chew cud, that the sun revolves around the earth, that the earth is flat, said that a person can survive in a whale for 3 days, and so many more that I can't be bothered to list them.

I am curious where in the bible it proves creationism? Do you have the exact verse or is it just the 'god created earth in 7 days' thing?

(0) (0)

I am djla90's main.

Debralynn's Hangout ^.^ Come chat with me!
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51721

Here's my super awesome perler business. Show me some love, order some art!
https://www.facebook.com/debralynnashbyDDD/

Flight Rising name: DreadedDawn

RIP Wishbone. We only had you for a few months, but you were very loved.