Jump to:

Poll
<3 73%  73%  [ 64 ]
</3 27%  27%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 88
 Post subject: Charity/Giving
Post Posted: Nov 9th, '14, 01:23    

Moi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 180704
Mood: Know you're not alone.

My mom saw a man holding a sign saying they had no food and no home and he had a woman and one or two kids with him. My mom gave him $10. She asked me if she should and I more or less said "I don't know, what if they're lying?" I am not that stingy of a person. Sometimes I'd give the shirt off my back to someone who needed it. I love giving money to charities, eventhough I don't get much money, you know, I just like making others happy. But I don't like people faking problems. I'm so paranoid of people, that it's hard for me to trust anyone. My mom was like "But what if they really do need it? It's what God would want." so I said okay.
You never know if someone could be God or Jesus or an angel in disguise. You should show them how much compassion you have for your fellow man. But like I said, people take advantage of others. So you should consider that too.

I decided that if I ever win the lottery or somehow get rich, I'm donating money to a bunch of charities. All that I want is to make others happy. Just knowing I put a smile on someone's face makes me so pleased. Especially kids. I already became an organ donor, at least I selected it, I started growing my hair out to donate, I want to start giving blood.

And since it's the Holidays, I always love buying presents for people.
They don't have to get me something in return. But if someone buys me a gift, I NEED to get them one xD
I'm always anxious when I give them to people - I'm afraid they won't like it.
But everyone says it's the thought that counts, so.

Do you like giving?

(0) (0)

"I'm feelin' electric tonight
Cruising down the coast goin' 'bout 99
Got my bad baby by my heavenly side
I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight"

Post subject: Re: Charity/Giving
Post Posted: Nov 9th, '14, 11:14    

Poshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 57579
Mood: :3
I feel really bad every time I walk past a homeless person but as you say, they could be a con artist. I prefer to give homeless people food and legit charities money. Lately I've been approached by a lot of people asking to give weekly donations/monthly donations etc. In all honesty, it really annoys me because they happen to catch my every time I'm running really late and I don't want to be rude and ignore them. Also, I hate people pulling money periodically from my bank account and all these charities are removing one off donations schemes.

I often give to World Vision and Cancer Council when I see their desk around.

(0) (0)
ImageImage
Looking to purchase the Solar System Sceptres *u*

Post Posted: Nov 9th, '14, 15:42    

AsheSkyler
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 9051
Mood: Defiant and rebellious!
Eh, I'm from the sticks. Charity around here means giving some grown goodies to a hungry neighbor, helping them get a ride to where they need to go or helping them fix theirs if it's broke, bringing chainsaws and tractors when there is plenty of storm damage from tornadoes, passing on hand-me-downs and other clothing or items around the community, and other things like that. Hands on things that have a very functional purpose. Money is too vague, and with things randomly inflating and everything taxed to death, it's just easier to see to it that your intentions are met and not shortchanged by overseeing it yourself.

One time I did give money to a begger who was being polite, but then another popped up right behind him and she just stuck her hand out and glared at me. I was half honest to her, while I had given him my spare money and told her so, I didn't tell her I had no inclinations to help somebody as rude as she. Good golly, I was barely 18, how much money did this 30-year-old think I had?

My husband does have an amusing tale about he and some work buddies (back when they were much younger) encountered a homeless man who said he quite honestly just wanted to get soused that night. I think they ended up funding him for a week's worth of booze if he managed his money right. XD

(0) (0)
[ Just Another Day (webcomic) ][ Commission me! ][ Etsy ][ dA ]​
[ ~* Space Countdown Game *~ ][ Little Wizard Knuffle ]

Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle! | Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians. | Give 100% in all you do! Unless you're giving blood.

Post Posted: Nov 9th, '14, 16:36    

Sanssouci
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 34059
Yeah, I do. I never give money to people standing on street corners though. I have heard too many horror stories about people buying drugs, or alcohol, or cigarettes instead of food. It's a shame because I am sure a lot of people really would buy food with it. But I don't want to risk having my money go to drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes. So I don't risk it. Instead I give to charities, give my time, spread the word, etc. Over the years my partner and I have given a bit of money to our local zoo, Arbor Day Foundation, breast cancer research, and ovarian cancer research. We've given some toys to Toys for Tots. We're registered as organ donors. I've done some volunteer work at an animal shelter and a grief counseling center. I've fostered some kittens and taken in a lot of strays. I post a lot of animals that are for adoption at local shelters on facebook and pinterest.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Nov 9th, '14, 17:12    

[Autumn]
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 24219
Mood: Nya!
There are always some legit homeless people begging around here and I've given them food before.

However, during the holidays the beggars multiply... usually people just looking for a quick way to make cash.

(0) (0)
"And remember that bad times... are just times that are bad."

Post Posted: Nov 9th, '14, 23:35    

light_sucks
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 77394
Mood: Extremely depressed
I donate my blood and hair when I can.
I don't have much money so I only donate that sometimes. I also don't donate to charities that are religiously based so that definitely lowers the places I can donate.

I hate when I do give money or food or whatever and people say I'm a 'godly' person. No. I'm not. I'm a good person AND an atheist. It's insulting that people think that only religious people are good. Ugh.

(1) (0)

I am djla90's main.

Debralynn's Hangout ^.^ Come chat with me!
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51721

Here's my super awesome perler business. Show me some love, order some art!
https://www.facebook.com/debralynnashbyDDD/

Flight Rising name: DreadedDawn

RIP Wishbone. We only had you for a few months, but you were very loved.

Post Posted: Nov 10th, '14, 01:53    

tavisharts
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 11381
My mom actually has a strategy for determining if they are real or fake. And thats the offer to buy them food.

If they willing follow her into a McDonald or something and sit down to eat she believes it's more creditable then not. That and she guarantees the money is used for food.

(0) (0)
Care to play with me?

Post Posted: Nov 10th, '14, 04:23    

Yokuutsu
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 4564
Mood: I just want to sleep
There is a lady around her that looks poor and all, picking up change as she walks and bumming money, but I've heard she is actually one of the richest people in this area....she just doesn't want to spend her money.

So I'm skeptical, but I also rarely have money.

(0) (0)
Questing: 11 x Earth Ring, 16 x Valentine Water

I am so far behind on castle quests.

Also: Always looking for MxM rps

Post Posted: Nov 11th, '14, 09:18    

Onzou
Hugs: 8094
This reminds me of a time my ex boyfriend's mom gave a homeless man $100. He bust down crying and wouldn't stop thanking her over and over again. I don't think she cared what he did with it though. Because she's been where he was before. By his reaction I'd say he wasn't going to use it for drugs, but you never know. We've never seen him since, so here is hoping he used it to clean up for a job interview and now has a home.

But, on a sour note - my uncle was at a fast food restaurant, and a man approached him asking him for $10 so he could get something warm to eat. My uncle tells him to hang on and goes inside and he buys him food. (He also planned on giving him the $10, too) The guy threw the food in his face and cussed him out. These are the people who make you not want to bother.

Me personally, I don't have any money to give, but if I did I would gladly give money to someone in need. Especially if it's going towards a good cause. I've donated to 'wounded warrior' before. I've also donated blood twice. I've given also away toys and clothes to this shelter that gives out gifts to families who can't afford it during the holidays - as well as food and hair. But, this is as much as I'm able to do currently.

(0) (0)

Art people have drawn for me. Thank you, lovelies! (If you want to be removed from this list, let me know.) Out of url space boo XD

Post Posted: Nov 13th, '14, 00:59    

Moi
light_sucks wrote:
I hate when I do give money or food or whatever and people say I'm a 'godly' person. No. I'm not. I'm a good person AND an atheist. It's insulting that people think that only religious people are good. Ugh.

Yes, atheists are good people too xD
You don't donate to get into heaven or be godly or make God like you more, you do it because it's the right thing to do 8u
At least that's always been my opinion.

I remember my dad and his ex went to a store and there was a homeless man.
His ex was like "Go give him a dollar." Then she saw him stumbling around and she was like "Nevermind, I think he's had one too many dollars 8u"

(0) (0)