Should work be able to dictate romance?
Yes 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 36 ]
It's complicated/Depends on the circumstances 64%  64%  [ 78 ]
Total votes : 121
 Post subject: Re: Work and Romance
Post Posted: Oct 19th, '14, 08:12    

Telos
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 955
Honestly, I think it's pretty complicated, but in-house dating rarely ends well, and often causes unnecessary complications even if it is going well; a new couple might spend all their time flirting, for example, or being otherwise distracted and neglecting their work. I don't think your employer should be able to dictate your relationships outside the workplace, but while you're on the premises (or anywhere else as an official employee, i.e. at a seminar or something), they have the right to intervene if your relationship is affecting the job they're paying you to do.

(0) (0)
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Post Posted: Oct 19th, '14, 08:15    

Starlight
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 4800
Mood: ' u '

Definitely depends on the circumstances!

In some workplaces it might be too distracting for workers to be dating, and that could negatively affect the company.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 19th, '14, 12:37    

Aerin
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 23783
Mood: Exhausted...
I think two people having a relationship at work could cause problem, but at long at they stay professional... The other cases seems really stupid to me, it bother me to no end to know that it still exist nowadays to fire a person for her/his life choices outside work.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 19th, '14, 20:00    

Chrizine
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 42274
Mood: Elusive Crumpet
I agree that whatever you do outside of work should be of no interest to your employers. The question about relationships between coworkers is a tad difficult, but I still think they should get no say in it as long as you stay professional while at work and develop your relationship in your free time. The boss-employee thing is worth considering though, people should somehow be protected from their bosses trying to force something in private by using their position. I don't know how to best do it, though :(

(0) (0)
My personal Quest thread:

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):
Most urgent wishes currently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Check out jacobgrey's awesome interactive Harry Potter Fanfiction thread!

I'm on Flight Rising and Tattered Weave as well- feel free to friend me!

Post Posted: Oct 21st, '14, 06:35    

LennyAngel
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 7897
Mood: Relaxed
I think when it comes to anything other than dating in the workplace, the employer has no right. If it's not happening inside the workplace, then it is not the workplace's business. When it does come to employees dating, that certainly does depend. I think if they are both mature and reasonable, then it shouldn't cause any problems. But people are rarely reasonable when in love. But it shouldn't be a fireable offense, just simply something to be considered with care. If they allow it to disrupt their work and are unprofessional, then their job should be under consideration. But the mere act of dating shouldn't cause this. The problem is when the employees are of different ranks, then the trouble of favouritism comes into play and that's a whole can of worms. Again, discretion is needed.

(0) (0)
Life is beautiful

What I say is my opinion, what you say is yours. If I offend or hurt in anyway, tell me, and I'll apologise because I probably didn't intend it. In fact, the possibility probably didn't even enter my little head; there's not much room in there for many things.

Languages are beautiful. Respect the one you are using.

Post Posted: Oct 23rd, '14, 08:02    

mishamonkey
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 7917
General rule- work should dictate your relationship only if your relationship impacts your work, or your work positions are conducive to an uneven relationship, like someone dating their boss, or their student.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 24th, '14, 03:56    

Tocxica
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 1635
Dating within the workplace can be a very sticky subject especially if it's something like a subordinate dating someone higher than them. An imbalance of power within a relationship is never a good thing and can ruin someones career if something goes wrong within the relationship.
As for the second question, it happens frequently here (though "cause you're bonin' a chick" isn't the reason given oftentimes). It shouldn't be done in my opinion because a persons sexuality has no bearing on their job performance.
In the case of adultery, it's...complicated. In jobs where there's a moral code or a set of standards to uphold (like the military) I can see the reasoning behind it. In others no.
AsheSkyler wrote:
I live in a "right to fire" state, so technically we can fire you on any of those grounds. Or no grounds at all.

That aside, I don't think you should be fired or barred from a job because of your relationship status or preferences. I do understand not wanting a work relationship (dating coworkers or using the office to cheat on your spouse) because it could get in the way of your job. And everybody else's job if they have to deal with your bad breakup and the ensuing shouting matches over the water cooler.

I once held a job where me and my husband were hired on together. It went well, the boss had an easier time relaying messages if one of us was off work, and we made a good team and our boss loved it. Only problem was that when you fired one of us, the other quit. Always a potential backfire somewhere with a romantic relationship being at work.

Right-to-work laws are insane.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Oct 25th, '14, 17:48    

mishamonkey
Tocxica wrote:
Right-to-work laws are insane.

Why? I just looked that up- they seem reasonable enough to me.

(0) (0)