Evolution 46%  46%  [ 79 ]
Creationism 7%  7%  [ 12 ]
Intelligent Design 6%  6%  [ 10 ]
Food Points are the only theory worth believing in 42%  42%  [ 72 ]
Total votes : 173
 Post subject: Evolution vs. Creationism
Post Posted: Feb 5th, '14, 05:20    

Tocxica
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 1640
I'm not sure if anyone caught the Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate today. However, I was interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the prompt.

Is creation a viable model of origins in today's modern scientific era?

I would like also to add to the prompt and ask this;

Are religion and science mutually exclusive?

This is my first thread here so lets see how this goes...

(0) (0)

Post subject: Re: Evolution vs. Creationism
Post Posted: Feb 5th, '14, 19:35    

Yokuutsu
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 4481
Mood: I just want to sleep
I didn't watch it/listen to it/etc....

But I don't think that just because you believe in one....that the other cannot exist.

Why couldn't we have been created and then we evolved? Now, what we originally were, I don't know, but I think we were created at some point and then evolved....a lot hopefully.

(0) (0)
Questing: 11 x Earth Ring, 16 x Valentine Water

I am so far behind on castle quests.

Also: Always looking for MxM rps

Post Posted: Feb 6th, '14, 17:51    

WitchchyldeK
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 1264
Evolution IS the science, I think perhaps what you may have meant to inquire is if Science and Creationism are mutually exclusive?

Personally I've been a firm believer in the process of evolution, as there is massive evidence to the fact that the world is in fact millions of years old rather than a mere six thousand or so. It was a shock to me to discover that my mom is a Creationist though. I suppose that this is part and parcel with her devotion to every theory and 'news report' she sees on Fox News. It's actually a bit frightening, how she treats everything she sees and hears there as TRUTH, and every other source of information is part of a conspiracy of some kind.

I know Chris Hardwick said last night on the @Midnight game show that this debate is a must-see, I really ought to give it a look.

(0) (0)
Solia!ImageImageImage

Post Posted: Feb 6th, '14, 23:48    

Yokuutsu
WitchchyldeK wrote:
Personally I've been a firm believer in the process of evolution, as there is massive evidence to the fact that the world is in fact millions of years old rather than a mere six thousand or so. It was a shock to me to discover that my mom is a Creationist though. I suppose that this is part and parcel with her devotion to every theory and 'news report' she sees on Fox News. It's actually a bit frightening, how she treats everything she sees and hears there as TRUTH, and every other source of information is part of a conspiracy of some kind.

Well, the creationism I was taught in church never said anything about the age of the earth, God created it in 6 days....though....6 days to us or 6 days to God? A day could be a thousand years (which is where I think they get 6k) or a lot more. I'm going with a lot more XD

Also, evolution is a theory of science, not a science itself I believe. Could be wrong though XD

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Feb 7th, '14, 05:53    

Tocxica
WitchchyldeK wrote:
Evolution IS the science, I think perhaps what you may have meant to inquire is if Science and Creationism are mutually exclusive?

Ha, thanks for catching that. I don't work well without caffeine and this is apparently proof of that. :mclaugh:

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Feb 8th, '14, 16:41    

Aerin
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 23822
Mood: Exhausted...
I think evolution is the only theory that stand nowadays. I find it very astonishing that people are able to support creationism without scratching their own heads at the lack of evidence and the consistency's problem it has...

Even my grandfather, a very religious person, believes in it, he just think there was god's intent behind every evolution...

Oh, to each their own opinion I guess.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Feb 9th, '14, 07:41    

light_sucks
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 75404
Mood: Extremely depressed
Evolution all the way. That young Earth stuff is completely ridiculous. It makes no sense.

Now if you believed that a god or higher power put started everything and used evolution and such to make life on the planet, that's fine. I'm completely okay with that. That's religion. The other stuff is just foolishness.

(0) (0)

I am djla90's main.

Debralynn's Hangout ^.^ Come chat with me!
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51721

Here's my super awesome perler business. Show me some love, order some art!
https://www.facebook.com/debralynnashbyDDD/

Flight Rising name: DreadedDawn

RIP Wishbone. We only had you for a few months, but you were very loved.

Post Posted: Feb 13th, '14, 05:50    

ChaiSweet
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 588
Mood: Tea Time~
Evolution all the way.

I grew up with being taught Creationism but I never bought into it. Evolution has way to much proof to disprove in my mind. I mean think about it, we have proof that humans and animals have evolved. That the Earth was a very different place a million years ago. That proof goes completely against the idea of Creationism which would have us believe that we are unchanged. And my mind can't agree with that.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Mar 29th, '14, 23:08    

RockinSia
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 12277
I like the idea of Creationism, but Evolution makes more sense scientifically to me, even though I learned about Creationism first in Sunday school.

Creation is always a viable model, no matter the age, because it comes from religion and religion is something that always exists because it gives people hope and something to believe in.

I think religion and science being mutually exclusive all depends on the person you're asking, because there are people who can mix the two and others who believe in just one or the other. For myself, I can believe in certain religious theories yet also believe scientific theories, so they can intertwine as well.

(0) (0)

Post Posted: Apr 3rd, '14, 07:30    

Bunnei
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hugs: 42442
Mood: Needs a Whisky
Even though scientists aren't sure exactly how molecules evolved, even though they have a few ideas. Things weren't just "created" people didn't appear.
Organisms evolved. From the most simple one celled organisms, they evolved eventually over millions of years. Humans are new to this world. We are still learning
:mctongue:

(0) (0)
Buying some things here:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=41727

ImageImageImageImageImageImage